Support our friends in Philly Sign this petion and pass it on to your friends!
Dear Friends Please support our Friends in Philly! PSU is a friend of Teen DAWG. WE SUPPORT YOU PSU!!
Dear PSU Supporter:
We need your help! In the coming weeks, the School District of Philadelphia and the Philadelphia Federation of Teachers will negotiate a new, four-year teacher contract. This is an important opportunity to influence the negotiations to make sure our students and teachers have the supports they need to succeed in our schools.
All the parties involved in the negotiations must do everything in their power to ensure that all children in Philadelphia’s public schools have effective teachers.
The Philadelphia Student Union in partnership with other members of the Philadelphia Cross-City Campaign, are sponsoring a campaign calling for four important policy changes in the next contract:
1. School-based hiring practices
2. Better incentives to draw teachers to hard-to-staff schools
3. Enhanced standards and fair evaluation procedures
4. Better teacher development programs.
As part of this campaign, we are collecting thousands of postcards from people who support this agenda for change. We can use your help in several ways:
* Sign the electronic petition. You can also forward this message to any of your lists to encourage your friends and colleagues to do the same. The electronic petition can be found athttp://www.gopetition.com/petitions/effective-teaching-matters-for-every-child.html.
* Help distribute postcards. We need to get as many signed postcards in the next week as possible. If you are interested in helping, please contact me and we will figure out how to get them to you.
* Attend the press conference on Thursday, September 3 at 12:00 pm at City Hall. At the press conference we will present the signed postcards to Mayor Michael Nutter, Dr. Arlene Ackerman, CEO of the School District of Philadelphia, and Jerry Jordan, president of the Philadelphia Federation of Teachers.
If you would like to learn more about this campaign, please feel free to contact us. We hope you will join us in helping to create the change